Sunday, December 2, 2012

Adventkranz - An Austrian Tradition

On Friday night, I joined about 30 women at New City Wien (a bilingual church in Vienna) for Adventkranz binden. Translated, this means "Advent wreath making". It was a fun time of meeting new people, learning about Austrian advent wreaths and getting to know the two girls I had invited better. One friend was from our German class and the other was the girlfriend of a fellow student.

Now that we have an Adventkranz at home, Nate and I will be lighting a new candle each Sunday of Advent and reading passages from the bible in English and German. We're excited to start this tradition in our family!

Verena, Dora and I working on our wreaths


Verena and I posing at the party

All of the ladies getting instructions on how to make an Adventkranz

The supplies!

My finished product

2 comments:

  1. Kristi Hanneman12/3/12, 8:11 AM

    We did this when we lived in Germany! I need to see if I can find mine! What a neat tradition for you to be able to share in! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I am really glad she got to make one, it looks great! Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note or thought here, One condition, you have to be nice. Who knows, you might spark a great discussion!