Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Climbing

We're spending Christmas with my family (Bethany's) in Atlanta at my brother's house. This morning, the whole family piled into 2 cars and went on an adventure to the climbing gym. It was really fun for Nate and I to see the kids try out something new that we really enjoy. All four kids (Meg - 8, Nate - 6, Kate - 4, Caleb - 3) got on the climbing wall and did a great job! Meg was especially impressive, making it to the top on several difficult routes (a 5.7+ and 5.8).

Watching the kids fly up the wall made me think about the fearlessness of children. There are times when I see a resilience and boldness in kids that I think we lose as adults. As we get older and learn more about the world, we learn that there is a lot out there to be scared of and sometimes that holds us back from taking risks. Sometimes, I wish I could go back to being young, naive and fearless.

Stepping out in faith (or climbing a tough route) forces us to confront our fears and really ask the question, "Do I trust God?" As we begin our journey to Austria, a lot of fears and unknowns creep into my mind. How long will it take us to get there? Will I ever be able to learn a new language? What if we are there for years and never really make an impact? My prayer is that as I acknowledge and confront these fears and learn to trust God more through this journey, I exhibit the fearless, trusting faith of a child.


"People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.' And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them." - Mark 10: 13 - 16

Photos from the climbing gym...


The four kids, climbing next to each other.


Nate sends a 5.9 route.


Looks like the siblings are racing up the wall!


Caleb, Kate, Nate and Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note or thought here, One condition, you have to be nice. Who knows, you might spark a great discussion!