Thursday, February 2, 2012

Christ is Risen

I am usually pretty skeptical of "christian"* music. I am either a product of my generation, or just not a very sentimental person. Also, there is a lot of cheesy "christian" music out there.  But I love music that is about God.  Songs that teach and declare who He is and what He has done.


We have spent the last week and a half here in Denver and a song has been resonating in my soul.  Here is the chorus:
Christ is risen from the dead
trampling over death by death
come awake, come awake
come and rise up from the grave
Christ is risen from the dead
we are one with Him again
come awake, come awake
come and rise up from the grave


Click the read more link to see a video of the song.







I love the vision of Christ's death conquering death itself, and the call to Christ is a call to awaken.

What songs have been impacting you?


*I put Christian in quotes because I think the concept of christian music continues the sacred/secular divide that is, at the least, damaging.


Also, I really like this guy's hair.

2 comments:

  1. I have similar feelings about "christian" music, too. I haven't listened to anything that wasn't part of a presentation or church service in years. In truth, I haven't listened to much music for a few years. It tends to turn to noise in my ears. However, "Christ is Risen" has resonated with me all week, too. Yesterday--after 3 days of prayer, worship, and deep connections--was just what I needed. I woke up this morning with the lyrics traipsing through my brain. It was a good way to wake up. Thanks for writing about this.

    Sorry I didn't get to say good-bye to you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheryl, good-byes are some times a luxury, hope you have safe travels where ever the year takes you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note or thought here, One condition, you have to be nice. Who knows, you might spark a great discussion!