Thursday, July 12, 2012

Closing Out a Career

My view from the back of the hotel ballroom in CA this week
This week, I'm working at an event in California for my former employer, One Smooth Stone. This will be my last event after 7 years as an event producer. It feels a bit odd for me to finally be closing out my career and letting go of the "producer" title that has been a part of my identity for so long. It's also hard to walk away from a job that I enjoy and that I'm good at, one where I've finally gained enough experience to confidently play a significant role. If I were staying in this industry, I would just be hitting my stride and building my career. But God has something better in store.

I have many fond memories of events that I've worked and fun times I've had with clients and co-workers while on-site. I've traveled to beautiful places like Switzerland, Hawaii, Grand Cayman, Italy and Bermuda. I've worked hard on projects and seen them come to fruition and impact people. I've spent countless hours in hotel ballrooms and convention centers, not seeing the light of day! I've celebrated successful events with delicious food and fun evenings. I've pushed myself (and been pushed) to take on responsibility when I wasn't always sure I could handle it...and I learned so much through it. I've gained valuable skills in project management, communications, logistics, and discovering creative solutions to challenges.

It's been a great run, but I am at peace with moving on. I will miss my job, but I am so thrilled to be taking the next step and moving in a career that is deeply fulfilling for me in a new way. I'm excited to take what I've learned in the corporate world and use my skills to further God's kingdom and bring people into a personal and transforming relationship with Him.

I thank God for this career. And I thank God that I am ready for the next step.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. The only event I saw that you may have had a significant part in coordinating was your wedding. Were you happy with the results?

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your event producing career will be used by God in your next career. It will be exciting to see how that all fits together.
    Gary Schroeder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma - I was very happy with the results of our wedding! It was a lot of work but all of my planning helped make it a very special day.

    Gary - thanks for your comment. We're excited, too, to see how God uses our background and experience in ministry.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note or thought here, One condition, you have to be nice. Who knows, you might spark a great discussion!