Saturday, July 30, 2011

Fund-raising as Ministry?

I recently sat down and read an essay by Henri Nouwen entitled "The Spirituality of Fund-raising".  I had picked up the essay last November when we were attending training at WorldVenture headquarters, but it had sat in my book pile ever since. And I am so glad I finally picked it up.

I have been praying that God would help me approach "partner development" (or raising support or fund-raising) with a healthy mentality about its purpose and God's provision. But reading Nouwen's essay identified some new lessons about fund-raising that hadn't considered - gaps in my perspective.

Nouwen challenged me to consider that...
  • to ask others to partner financially in our ministry, I first need to confront my own relationship with money
  • I should allow fund-raising to teach me how to depend on others...which is against my independent, prideful, sinful nature
  • I must love people and minister to them first...and trust God to provide the money second
  • My security is in Christ and should never be tied up in the response of others towards our ministry
  • Prayer and gratitude allow my attitude towards fund raising to be transformed
  • Fund-raising allows me to develop closer relationships with those who partner with us, which leads to ministry opportunities and deeper Christian community
So whether you are raising funds for your first short term mission trip or a 5K race, or raising fund to go to the missions field long term, or being approached for financial support by others, I hope these quotes from Nouwen will be an encouragement to you on your journey.

"Gratitude allows us to approach a fund-raising meeting without grasping neediness and to leave it without resentment or dejection. Coming and going, we can remain secure in God's love with our hearts set joyfully on the kingdom."

"Fund-raising is proclaiming what we believe in such a way that we offer other people an opportunity to participate with us in our vision and mission."


"The question is not how we get money. Rather, the question is about our relationship with money."


"We fear being dependent on others because of the idea that dependence is a threat to our security."


"We do not need to worry about the money. Rather, we need to worry about whether, through the invitation we offer them and the relationship we develop with them, they will come closer to God."


"Asking people for money is giving them the opportunity to put their resources at the disposal of the Kingdom. To raise funds is to offer people the chance to invest what they have in the work of God."

3 comments:

  1. How interesting. I just had a talk about this topic (Fund-raising as/for ministry/church) yesterday. A couple of hours later your article appeared in my News-Reader. I´ll definitely take a deeper look into the Nouwen-essay. Thanks in advance, alexander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Alexander! I hope that you get a chance to read Nouwen's essay and that it encourages you in your view of fund-raising as a time of ministry. Thanks for reading the blog and sharing your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh*... we've only just begun thinking about fundraising, but it is overwhelming for me!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note or thought here, One condition, you have to be nice. Who knows, you might spark a great discussion!