Thursday, February 23, 2012

Experiencing Lent



Hey everyone! Hope that you are enjoying all this wonderful, spring-like weather we have been having across the country. I think it got into the low 60s out here in Connecticut today, which is pretty crazy to think about.


I was thinking recently about how I would practice Lent this year.  To be honest, it wasn't a big thing when I was growing up. All I remember were the catholic kids I knew and how they would feel the need to give up something valuable to them for Lent. To be honest, it sounded like a pretty dumb idea at the time, but this was before I really understood fasting. Over time God has given me an appreciation for different seasons of the church calendar, and how valuable they can be.  I learned that Lent isn't just for Catholics and that many Christians have found this season of fasting and repentance very valuable as a time of introspection and reflection.


This year I (Nate) chose a bible reading plan you www.youversion.com.  I am a pretty big fan of their bible app and this is my first encounter with their reading plans.  I am kinda excited, to be honest. I am really not good at reading plans in general. I am praying that I will stick with this plan and gain a perspective leading up to the Easter celebration.  Here is the reading plan that I am doing (and I'd love for you to join me.) I think it is less than a chapter a day and goes through the Easter story in chronological order.


Your Turn:


How are you observing Lent this year? 


Are you fasting from something or observing a similar reading schedule?


Photo credit: bosela from morguefile.com

2 comments:

  1. I picked up a copy of the Treasury of Daily Prayer and will be making an attempt to follow one of the orders of prayer at least once a day. Adding a browser extension to block my time-waster sites (Facebook, etc.) will serve to create time so that I can't make excuses for ignoring it. The TDP is really an excellent little (1600 page) resource that even non-Lutherans could get a lot out of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey josh, thanks for the thoughts. Removing distractions can be just as important as choosing a plan to follow. Hope it has started well for you, let me know how it goes!

      Delete

Leave a note or thought here, One condition, you have to be nice. Who knows, you might spark a great discussion!